Are you looking for the best tripods to improve the quality of your vlogging videos? Want to know how to pick the best vlogging tripods?
Welcome! This article will outline my picks for the best tripods you can buy for your vlog adventures!
As a professional photographer and content creator based in Hong Kong, I run photography workshops as well. The key is high-quality content, especially for channels such as Youtube, Instagram, and Facebook. Vlogging is a big tool for content creation.
In this article, I will share my choices of the best tripod for vlogging, which are: Joby GorillaPod 3K Pro Kit Tripod, Manfrotto 190 Carbon Fibre 4 Section Tripod, and Sirui Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod. Together with some great tips regarding how to pick the best tripods for vlogging, I hope my recommendations are helpful!
Best Tripods for Vlogging and YouTube Videos- Quick Summary
Best Lightweight Tripods for Vlogging: Joby GorillaPod 3K Pro Kit Tripod
Best Solid Built Tripod for Vlogging: Manfrotto 190 Carbon Fibre 4 Section Tripod
Best Monopod for Vlogging: Sirui Carbon Fiber Photo/Video Monopod
WHO SHOULD READ THIS?
Anyone keen on producing high quality videos and looking to purchase a tripod for vlogs or youtube videos would benefit from this article.
I hope you find these tips useful for selecting a tripod suitable for your needs, and remember, the tripods I've picked are great tripods for travel photography as well.
Looking for more vlogging tips? You may want to check out my article regarding the best sony cameras for video and best lighting for vlogging, live streaming, TikTok and YouTube Videos.
WHY SHOULD YOU TRUST ME?
I have also worked in Hollywood with Oscar-winning artists, as well as being the go-to photographer for major international brands such as LVMH, Four Seasons Hotels, Dom Perignon, and Moet & Chandon.
Several years ago, I started running social media workshop and received great feedback from my clients, both personal and corporate. Most of them found the strategies, insights, and tips I shared really boosted their social media channels and helped them to generate business leads.
A tripod is one of the tools I've always stressed to be very important, whether you're a photographer, vlogger, wedding videographer, or general content creator. Here, I'm going to share with you how to pick the best one and my recommendations.
What is Vlogging?
Vlog stands for a video blog or video log. Usually, a vlog stands for a blog with content in video form.
A vlogger will create videos and upload them to the internet with supporting texts, images, and relative metadata.
Vlogging can be about any subject, for example, the vlogger’s life or hobbies, sharing their opinions, thoughts, and experiences, or maybe about reviewing a product, a service, or recording down an event.
Why do You Need a Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos?
There are many advantages of using a tripod for vlogging. Here are the two main benefits:
A tripod can improve the quality of videos by making the camera more stable to produce a smooth video with steady images and cinematic shots.
Create Videos with Better Quality
Another reason is that with a tripod; you get to shoot better videos because now you can decide how far away you want to stand in front of the camera, how much of the surroundings you want to capture, and from what angle you want to capture everything.
Best Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos - What to Consider?
Tripods can be divided into two parts: the head and the legs; that’s all they have when it comes to an essential tripod. However, many details and parameters can differentiate tripods into different categories and budgets.
Quick Release Plates and Legs
Quick Release Plates
The quick-release plate is where your camera mounts to the tripod. Usually, for small or basic models, the plate would be a fixed one with a screw mount. As a vlogger, I would advise you to go for one with a quick-release plate with a locking mechanism instead of the more basic ones.
This is very important because it allows you to switch from tripod to handheld shooting in just 2 seconds.
I have left my vlogging cameras sitting on the quick release plate for almost six months now because it saves me a lot of setting up time.
Some of my colleagues use monopods with the same quick plate system, and they can switch back and forth within 5 seconds, which makes it very convenient.
If your tripod does not come with a quick-release plate, you can search if there is any independent quick release plate like the following one:
For sure, always make sure to check if it is compatible with your camera before purchase one!
Quick Release Legs
Pretty similar to the quick release plates, a set of quick release legs can speed up your setup time considerably, and it is essential if you need to react very quickly to capture what you see.
Types of Heads & Movements - Ball / Fluid Head, Pans and Tilts
Depending on the videos you would like to produce, you may want to pick a tripod with a suitable head type.
I highly recommend vloggers go for a tripod with a fluid head, although they may be less stable than a static head tripod; however, it is worth forgoing a bit of stability for smooth movements needed as a vlogger.
The price of a tripod with a fluid head may be slightly higher. However, you want a tripod that gives you the ability and the opportunity of producing cinematic vlogs.
A ball head tripod is an alternative option if you are with a lower budget. They are usually lighter than fluid head tripods as well.
Tilting can be described as a cinematic technique involving an up and down rotation while the camera itself remains fixed. On the other hand, Panning involves a horizontal left and right movement with the camera fixed.
Try to get a tripod with high-quality pans and tilts, so you get significant control over the movement of the head too.
Size and Weight
Think of the type of video you will produce and choose the appropriate tripod; for talking-head vloggers, you may need less portability because you may be stationed in one place and do all the recording.
Getting a tripod with a good balance of size and weight would be an excellent idea for travel, sports, action, or lifestyle vloggers. You may need to be mobile in order to capture some footage fast or even set up on top of a mountain for an epic video!
However, we need to take into account the camera weight and the head as well. All tripods have a weight limit, and we need to make sure the tripod we get can stand all those weights. Think not just about your camera’s weight but also the added-up weight with all the lenses, recorders, monitors, microphones and accessories.
As mentioned, I would suggest vloggers to get a tripod with a fluid head. In most cases, they are going to be heavier too. So it is crucial to find the balance point between portability and quality.
For sure, it would be great if you can afford to purchase the tripod with all the great features and functions. However, the price of such models may usually be higher than other models in the market.
I do believe that as a professional, it is worth investing more in a high quality tripod. However, it may be wise to choose a mid-range price model if you are just starting out!
When you are sure that you do like being a vlogger, then invest in a better model.
Best Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos - Our Recommendations
Here I will analyze the best vlogging tripods by giving a detailed review of where each model slots into the larger market.
- Best for: Beginner, on-the-go, travel, sports, action and outdoor
- Head Type: Ball Head
- Key Features: It comes with flexible wrappable legs so that you can set it up almost everywhere
- Weight: 0.86 lbs (0.39kgs)
- Weight Limitation: Up to 6.61 lbs (3kgs)
- Size: 2.56" x 2.36" x 12.01" (6.5 x 6 x 30.5cms)
- Material: ABS plastic, aluminum, stainless steel, and TPE
- Leg Lock: Not Applicable
What We Like the Most:
- This is a highly portable and versatile tripod, comes with flexible legs, small size, and lightweight. I used to carry this tripod all day long during my travels and still felt fine and energetic in the evening.
- With the flexible legs, you can set it up almost everywhere with something you can wrap on. Other than vlogging, this is a tripod very suitable for street photography if you want to capture landscape shots or create timelapses!
- For on-the-go vloggers, the adjustable legs can be used as short selfie sticks so you can record quickly.
- It can hold up to 3 KG, which is good enough for standard vlogging equipment including microphones, monitors, or video lights. If you have a more robust camera and accessories, you may consider getting the GorillaPod 5K kit.
What is Not that Nice?
- The flexible legs are a bit too short, so your shooting angles depend primarily on where you can mount the tripod on
- The joints of the elastic may loosen up over time, however, consider this is a tripod with flexible legs, the Joby GorillaPod 3K is probably one of the most durable options you can find
- Best for: Professional vloggers, cooking channels
- Head Type: Ball Head
- Key Features: comes with 90 degrees column system, quick power lock, and leg angle system, easy link system for accessories.
- Weight: 3.53 lbs (1.6kg)
- Weight Limitation: Up to 15.4lbs (6.98 kgs)
- Size: minimum Height: 3.5” (9 cm), maximum height: 63”(160cm), folded length 24” (61cm)
- Material: Carbon Fiber, Magnesium (casting)
What We Like the Most:
- It comes with redesigned quick power leg locks, which are even more durable, and you can open all the leg locks with only one hand
- The 90-degree center column allows you to angle your camera horizontally and reach a problematic angle
- 360-degree center column rotation so you can shoot from almost all angles
- You can extend the center column upward and gain extra height
- Leg angle locks allow you to shoot at an incredibly low angle
- You can connect accessories like lights, support arms and clamps with the easy link connector
- It's made with carbon fiber and is super lightweight; you can carry it with just one hand
What is Not that Nice?
- The carbon fiber option may be a bit pricey for beginners. However, there is an aluminum version available, and if you are looking for something with a lower budget, the aluminum version could be a good fit
- Best for: Events recording, documentary, sports, run and shoot, any video you need a quick set up and portability
- Head Type: Ball Head
- Key Features: Twist lock legs, removable fold-down support legs, 350 rotatable grips
- Weight: 1.58 KG
- Weight Limitation: Up to 26.5 lbs
- Size: minimum height: 30.1”, maximum height: 74.8”
- Material: Carbon Fiber, Aluminum
What We Like the Most:
- It comes with three sturdy fold-down support feet which could lead to extra stability and flexibility
- The SIRUI movement system allows 20 degrees of tilt angle and enables extra load on the monopod
- Rotatable grips at 360 degrees
- Made with carbon fiber (lightweight and strong)
- Can be extended to 74.8”
- Comes with a lot of accessories: from removable rubber foot, aluminum spike, padded case, shoulder strap, tools
- It comes with 6 years warranty!
What is Not that Nice?
- The Sirui monopod is more stable than most monopods, but then it is pretty big as a monopod, even when you fold it down.
- The price is relatively high, considering the brand is not so well known
Best Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos - FAQs
What equipment do I need to vlog?
Here is the list of equipment you may need for vlogging:
- A camera, it can be a camera phone/ small compact camera/ mirrorless camera or DSLR camera, depending on the quality of video you would like to produce
- Lenses (most common vlogging lens is a wide-angle lens)
- Microphones (for recording audio)
- Tripod/ Monopod (depending on what you want to shoot)
- Lights (optional)
- Drones (optional)
- Selfie sticks (optional)
What do YouTubers use to hold their cameras?
To improve the stability of the cameras for producing better quality videos, most YouTubers or vloggers will use the following types of equipment to hold their cameras:
- A gimbal stabilizer for phone or camera
- A tripod
- A monopod
- A selfie stick (for shooting from a better angle)
Best Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos - Useful Tips
Tip 1: If you happen to have a tripod with a fixed or ball head, you may want to consider to purchase only a fluid head mount and you should be able to pan your camera smoothly. I highly recommend using the Manfrotto 502 Video Head like the following:
Tip 2: Check the screws and locks of your tripods from time to time, they tend to unwind
Tip 3: Get a simple cloth cover or lens/camera pouch and use as a cover to protect the tripod head when you pack it away in storage. This will save you from damaging one of the most important parts of a tripod!
Best Tripod for Vlogging and YouTube Videos - Final Words
Having a solidly built tripod enhances the quality of vlogs you produce and the variety of camera angles as well. The tripods suggested in this article come in different qualities and can cater to different budgets. If you have benefited from this article, I would love to hear from you with any suggestions of other topics you'd like me to cover!
Wanted to learn more tips regarding photography and videography? You may want to read these articles:
Please show some love and follow us on social media to stay connected with more of our exciting projects!
A big thanks to Phottix for the professional lighting equipment provided to Ali G Studios.
All photos are © Ali Ghorbani and Ali G Studios
Disclosure: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases